Searching for George's Garden - in a few words
Everything that’s ever happened is part of your story.
- The earth rotates once in about 24 hours with respect to the sun, but once every 23 hours 56 minutes and 4 seconds with respect to the stars. 3 minutes and 56 seconds lost, or gained.
- Most of the southern United States were underwater during the Cretaceous period, when North America was split in two by the Western Interior Seaway.
- The first stable blue pigment was made from lapis lazuli, a semi-precious stone mined in Afghanistan. It was found on the funeral mask of King Tut in 1323 BC. It is so rare today that it sells for $360 for five grams.
- The first red dye, discovered by the Aztecs, was made by crushing female cochineal beetles.
- The longest chess game was 269 moves and took 20 hours and 15 minutes. It was a draw.
- Blue M&Ms were introduced in 1995.